Flavour trends for 2010

As we near the end of 2009, my thoughts naturally turn to what might happen in 2010 in terms of general consumer trends and of course food trends in particular. Will the second series of MasterChef be as successful and influential as the first? Will we continue to see the two big supermarkets lift their game? Will more and more market gardens and farmers markets crop up and thrive in our big cities and regional centres?

Recently, market research firm Mintel has announced their predictions for the leading flavour trends of 2010. They predict that more experimental consumers will drive the introduction of new flavours in the food mainstream. Here are their culinary prognostications for the New Year.

Cardamom: I love cardamom but it can be such a strong flavor it needs to be used sparingly. I have a cardamom cake recipe I have used in the past. The spice guru Rosemary Hemphill suggests in her book Spice and Savour using cardamom with baked pears, in a honey dressing and in rice pudding.

Sweet Potato – I love it mashed with lots of butter, roasted with potatoes covered in honey and matched with pork or in fritters. It’s sad we don’t get many varieties of this wonderful root veggie in Australia.

Hibiscus - About five years ago my father-in-law started using candied hibiscus flowers in champagne. I have tried in it cocktails and in syrup form I can see it used in desserts, especially with poached fruits.

CupuaƧu – I have never heard of this but I suspect it’s another faddish super-food from the Amazon … or am I just jaded from having seen Avatar yesterday?

Rose water - I use rosewater in my strawberry and lime jam to give it a special perfume. It’s wonderful in cakes and cocktails. I have a recipe for rosewater panna cotta with fig and walnut pastries I must try out in 2010.

Latin – We really struggle with Latin food in Australia … so many bad Mexican and Brazilian places have put me off it. I remember with fondness The Rattlesnake Grill on the North Shore, no longer with us, where you could have decent south of the border food.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Blue Corn in St Kilda is a great example of fresh, tasty Mexican food that shrugs off the pasty mantle of Taco Bill....well worth a try when you're in town.